As used in this policy, the terms "using" and "processing" information include using cookies on a computer, subjecting the information to statistical or other analysis and using or handling information in any way, including, but not limited to collecting, storing, evaluating, modifying, deleting, using, combining, disclosing and transferring information within our organization or among our affiliates within the United States or internationally.
Information Collection and Use
Our primary goals in collecting information are to provide and improve our Site, services, features and content (together, the "Services") and to enable users to enjoy and easily navigate the Site.Personally Identifiable Information.
- In the course of using the Site and Services (e.g., in connection with your registration as a User or Tutor), we will ask you for personally identifiable information. This refers to information about you that can be used to contact or identify you ("Personal Information"). Personal Information includes, but is not limited to, your name, credit card or other billing information and email address. We use your Personal Information mainly to provide the Services and administer your inquiries.
- You can register to join the Service as a User or Tutor by logging into your account with certain third party social networking sites (“SNS”) (including, but not limited, to Facebook) via our Site. When you register by logging into an SNS via our Site, we will obtain the Personal Information you have provided to the SNS (such as your “real” name, profile picture, email address, list of SNS friends and other information you make available via the applicable SNS) from the account you have with such SNS and use that information to create your account; the information we obtain may depend on the privacy settings you have with the SNS. If you choose to register as a User to use the Services, you may also register to create an account directly via the Site without logging into an SNS.
- We also collect the other information that you provide as part of your use of the Site and Services (e.g., school, academic major and area of academic interest) ("Non-Identifying Information"). If you register to use the Services as a Tutor, we will also collect related information including, but not limited to, your academic year and a description of your tutoring services and interests.
- If you register to use the Services as a Tutor, our third party service providers will collect certain information, such as your name and email address, from you to enable us to make payments to you in connection with your activities on the Site and Services.
- We use your Personal Information (in some cases, in conjunction with your Non-Identifying Information) mainly to provide the Services, complete your transactions, and administer your inquiries.
- Certain Non-Identifying Information would be considered a part of your Personal Information if it were combined with other identifiers in a way that enables you to be identified. But the same pieces of information are considered Non-Identifying Information when they are taken alone or combined only with other non-identifying information (for example, your viewing preferences). We may combine your Personal Information with Non-Identifying Information and aggregate it with information collected from other InstaEDU Visitors (defined below) to attempt to provide you with a better experience, to improve the quality and value of the Services and to analyze and understand how our Site and Services are used.
- We also use your Personal Information to contact you with InstaEDU newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information that may be of interest to you. If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive such communications from us, please follow the unsubscribe instructions provided in any of the communications. (See "Changing or Deleting Information," below.)
Log Data. When you visit the Site, whether as a registered user or a non-registered user just browsing (any of these, an "InstaEDU Visitor"), our servers automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website ("Log Data"). This Log Data may include information such as your computer's Internet Protocol ("IP") address, browser type or the webpage you were visiting before you came to our Site, pages of our Site that you visit, the time spent on those pages, information you search for on our Site, access times and dates, and other statistics. We use this information to monitor and analyze use of the Site and the Services and for the Site's technical administration, to increase our Site's functionality and user-friendliness, and to better tailor it to our visitors' needs. We also use this information to verify that visitors to the Site meet the criteria required to process their requests.
Identity theft and the practice currently known as "phishing" are of great concern to InstaEDU. Safeguarding information to help protect you from identity theft is a top priority. We do not and will not, at any time, request your credit card information, login information, or national identification numbers in a non-secure or unsolicited e-mail or telephone communication. For more information about phishing, visit the Federal Trade Commission's website.
Invite a Friend
If you choose to invite a friend to use the Site and Services, we may collect the email address of such friend for the purpose of sending a one-time email invitation to use the Site and Services. We will not use the email address for any other purposes. Your friend may request that we delete his or her email address from our records by contacting us at email@example.com.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
Users. If you decide to use the Services to connect and/or video or text chat with a Tutor online, you may share your Personal Information with the Tutors with whom you connect and/or video chat or text chat. If you interact with a Tutor via the Site or Services (e.g., to schedule Lesson Services), we will share your first name (or the name of the student, as applicable) with the applicable Tutor in order to facilitate the scheduling or communication request. Additionally, if you chose to make any User Content available via the Services, we will share such User Content in accordance with the selections you make via the Services (including with Tutors, as applicable). Any information you provide before participating in Lesson Services (e.g., information on what you'd like to cover in such Lesson Services) may be shared with the applicable Tutor and publicly via the Services in connection with your first name. We recommend that you guard your sensitive information.
Questions. As a User, if you choose to post a Question via the Services, your Question and Tutor responses to your Question, if any, will be publicly viewable via the Services. We may also share your first name with any Tutor who is eligible to respond to your Question via the Services. If, as a Tutor, you choose to post a response to a Question via the Services, your response will be publicly viewable via the Services, along with the profile information described under “Tutors” below. All responses you make to Questions via the Services will be connected to your Tutor profile.
Tutors. If you register to use the Services as a Tutor, your name, school, school year, academic major, tutoring experience, listed interests, tutoring subjects, additional information on your tutoring areas of expertise that you provide via the Services SNS profile picture (or other profile picture provided by you), and current online/office status may be publicly viewable via the Site. InstaEDU may also use information related to responses you made in the past via the Services make available publicly via the Site estimated response rates and times related to your use of the Services. We make this information available so that Users and InstaEDU Visitors can find Tutors who meet their academic needs. You may edit your profile information at any time by accessing your profile via your account. In addition, if you chose to make any User Content available via the Services, we will share such User Content in accordance with the selections you make via the Services (including with Users, as applicable).
Reviews and Comments. If, in connection with your use of the Services, you choose to leave reviews or comments related to a Tutor, you understand and agree that the content of those reviews or comments may be publicly viewable via the Site, in connection with the applicable Tutor or otherwise. Any such reviews and comments may contain your first name only, but will not contain any additional Personal Information. However, if the reviews or comments are specific to a particular Tutor, such Tutor may be able to discern your identity by reading such reviews or comments in connection with your first name.
SNS. The Services give you the option to share information contained in your account with certain SNS. We will not share your account information, which may contain your Personal Information, with such SNS unless you expressly authorize such disclosure.
Aggregate Information and Non-Identifying Information. We may share aggregated information that does not include Personal Information and we may otherwise disclose Non-Identifying Information and Log Data with third parties for industry analysis, demographic profiling and other purposes. Any aggregated information shared in these contexts will not contain your Personal Information.
Service Providers. We may employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate our Services, to provide the Services on our behalf, to perform Site-related services (e.g., without limitation, maintenance services, database management, payment processing, web analytics and improvement of the Site's features) or to assist us in analyzing how our Site and Services are used. These third parties have access to your Personal Information only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement. InstaEDU cooperates with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We will disclose any information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims and legal process (including but not limited to subpoenas), to protect the property and rights of InstaEDU or a third party, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk of being, illegal, unethical or legally actionable activity.
Business Transfers. InstaEDU may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of its assets, including your Personal Information, in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets or in the event of bankruptcy.
Changing or Deleting Your Information
All registered users may review, update, correct or delete the Personal Information they have provided to InstaEDU via the Site and Services by contacting us. If you completely delete all such information, then your Account may become deactivated. If you would like us to delete your Account in our system, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a request that we delete your Personal Information from our database. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to honor your request. We may retain an archived copy of your records as required by law or for legitimate business purposes.
We will make any legally required disclosures of any breach of the security, confidentiality, or integrity of your unencrypted electronically stored "personal data" (as defined in applicable state statutes on security breach notification) to you via email or conspicuous posting on this Site in the most expedient time possible and without unreasonable delay, insofar as consistent with (i) the legitimate needs of law enforcement or (ii) any measures necessary to determine the scope of the breach and restore the reasonable integrity of the data system.
Links to Other Sites
Our Site may contain links to other websites. If you choose to visit a third party link, you will be directed to that third party's website. The fact that we link to a website is not an endorsement, authorization or representation of our affiliation with that third party, nor is it an endorsement of their privacy or information security policies or practices. We do not exercise control over third party websites. These other websites may place their own cookies or other files on your computer, collect data or solicit personal information from you. Other sites follow different rules regarding the use or disclosure of the personal information you submit to them. We encourage you to read the privacy policies or statements of the other websites you visit.
Our Policy Toward Children
This Site and Services are not directed to persons under 13. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with Personal Information without their consent, he or she should contact us at email@example.com. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with Personal Information, we will delete such information from our files.